The Global Deal and the JustJobs Network organised the webinar ‘Opportunities and Challenges of the Platform Economy in the Global South‘ on Wednesday 24th May 2023. The event highlighted global research on digital labour platforms - with a specific focus on the challenges faced by the Global South - and featured OECD experts in the field who shared their insights. The webinar addressed the following topics in particular:
- Whether the emergence of platforms represents an opportunity for job-centered development in the Global South, given the large incidence of informality.
- How local conditions have an impact on the relationship between platforms and job quality, and how social dialogue stands to play a key role in fostering an environment that is conducive to decent work in the sector.
- How to enable women to avail opportunities and minimize the costs of participating in this emerging ecosystem of digital work.
- Glenda Quintini, Head of the Global Deal Support Unit
- Sabina Dewan, President and Executive Director of JustJobs Network and Global Deal Senior Advisor
- Prerna Seth, Fellow, JustJobs Network
- Mariya Aleksynska, Development Economist, OECD Development Centre
- Stijn Broecke, Senior Economist, Employment, Labour and Social Affairs Directorate, OECD
- Aditi Surie, Senior Consultant, Indian Institute for Human Settlements
- Ramiro Albrieu, Senior Economist, RedSur
- Andrea Marinucci, Strategic Partnership Technical Officer, Global Deal Support Unit
- Andrea Garnero, Labour Economist, Employment, Labour and Social Affairs Directorate, OECD
- Hue-Tam Jamme, Fellow, JustJobs Network and Assistant Professor, Arizona State University
- Mia Thom, Technical Director, Cenfri
- Valentina Patrini, Social Policy Analyst, Employment, Labour and Social Affairs Directorate, OECD
> Watch webinar